New Series: Throwback of the Day

Hey kiddies, Ash is here. My partna Aneesah came up with the lovely idea of having ongoing columns for WYP. So, I decided to do a test run with "Throwback of the Day". Basically, I will post a video of a song from the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s and beyond and write about it. I know I haven't been posting like I should so what better way to start than with a daily column?

So here goes....this one is for my hip-hop heads.
The Fugees, Killing Me Softly, The Score, 1996

I miss the Fugees. I miss Lauryn. Plain and simple.
This may sound a tad dramatic but it seems like another piece of music died when Lauryn and the Fugees disappeared. Real talent started to take a backseat to ringtone rap and "crank dat" songs. Music is going to hell in a handbasket and it's up to the listeners to save it. Whenever I have discussions about the condition of today's music, I am met with "White people control the industry" or "Kids don't know what real music is" and other dribble. While it maybe true that execs have a big influence on what music is put out, the labels still need people to buy the music in order for them to make money. People like Soulja Boi didn't get famous because of talent, they get famous because people buy CDs. If people stopped buying the bad music, maybe the execs might change their tune. Maybe more Lauryn Hills and Fugees could get a break. Introduce your friends, family, and peers to other options. Support your underground and struggling artists and stop buying bootlegs and get off Limewire (I'm guilty of this too). But for now, hit play and enjoy.

--Ash

0 comments: