The Black Olympics

So a couple football players have gotten some flack for being "insensitive" after eating fried chicken on camera in what they called the "Black Olympics:"

Uh oh, media columnists are trying to make trouble over race when there really isn’t any controversy to be had. Martellus Bennett, a Dallas Cowboy tight end is catching flack for a youtube video titled “Black Olympics. In it, he and his brother Michael, a rooke for the Seattle Seahawks compete in eating fried chicken, watermelon and drinking Kool-Aid. (video below)

Bennett said: “Me and all my brothers were in the kitchen and as I looked around, I noticed we were eating every stereotype. We got chicken, kool aid , watermelon, we might as well do a Black Olympics. That’s what happened.”

Bennett, of course, was criticized this week for being insensitive.

Bennett also says, “I don’t really think it’s offensive. It depends on your sense of humor and how you look at things. We were just having fun and it was very funny for me and my brothers, when I look at it I just can’t stop laughing. If someone takes offense, I apologize. That wasn’t my intention. It was just us having fun. Some people like what you do and some people don’t. Always in life, anything you do, someone is going to have a different opinion than what you have.”


Here's the video in question:



Now, I found the video offensive but for different reasons. The sound of two dudes speedily eating fried chickens is just offensive to the senses.

0 comments: