...And the "Good Hair" Issue Rages On

I've just seen the trailer for Chris Rock's new documentary, "Good Hair." Rock was inspired to film this documentary after his young daughter asked why she didn't have good hair. Chris interviews a variety of celebrities, regular people, men and women about an issue that continues to divide African Americans. The trailer looks like a lighthearted, comical, yet seriously enlightening look into the struggles of Black women and perceptions of beauty.

If you haven't seen it, here's the trailer:


Recently, I have made the decision to stop getting weaves and started a little experiment to observe the reactions of my peers to my new natural hair style. You can read about that here. Long story short, the reactions were a bit disappointing as I thought most of my friends would be more supportive. So, I can understand why so many black women opt for long, straight silky hair, spending thousands of dollars from thousands of beauty supply stores scattered throughout this country.
At the same time, it is saddening.

On the bright side, I also found a site called Le Coil, a tumblr site featuring snapshots of beautiful Black and mixed-raced women with natural hair. It is an inspiring, alternative look at what many Black women (as well as society) define as beautiful.


1 comments:

Anonymous | August 15, 2009 at 12:09 AM

I saw a picture of you with natural hair on Facebook and thought it was amazing. You looked stunning. Seriously. Keep it.

I'm not black obviously, and I buzz what little hair I have left, but when I was a kid I used to fret about my curly hair. My mom straightens hers every day to appear more professional. Curly hair seems to not be taken seriously by alot of people, which is why the people sporting it in the mainstream are limited to Seth Rogen or Carrot Top.