Dawn Weiner is Still My Hero



When I first saw the film, "Welcome to the Dollhouse" years ago, I thought that Todd Solondz stole pages out of my own middle school diaries and made a movie about me. Of course, the tormented protagonist is Dawn Weiner, the middle child in middle school living in the middle of suburbia who was just so painfully awkward and lonely.

Like Dawn, I thought I'd never see the light at the end of the proverbial dark, vulnerable, hellish tunnel of adolescence. Solondz has a dead-on way of portraying the kind of insecurities that people like Dawn and I went through. So, this dark comedy tugs at my heartstrings. I couldn't help but root for Dawn.

In retrospect, I can say that Dawn inspired me to embrace my weirdness, even if she couldn't embrace it herself. Go Dawn!

*Click Here to watch it!

0 comments: